Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Fighting Humility

Advertising is hard.  Not because it's hard thinking of clever, eye-catching things to say, but because I was raised to be modest and to avoid bragging on myself.  Here I am trying to put my novels in front of as many readers as possible, and I'm stalled out because I can't bring myself to actually tell people how great they are.
So, step by step, I'm pushing myself into uncomfortable territory.  I've actually sent out a couple of mass emails.  (By mass-mailing, I mean 100 people, all pulled from my address book.)  I've printed a handful of advertising flyers, and then struggled to find places to post them.  I have a pocket full of fancy business cards, but I print them in tens and twenties, because I don't give them out very frequently.
About the only part of this promotion business that comes naturally is this blog.  In many ways, typing into this form is like talking to a friend.  It's comfortable.  But even blogs need promotion to expand their readership, and that brings me back full circle.
I can't brag on myself, not without straining something.
So, I need help.  I need to sell my books.  Getting people to read them is at the top of my priority list.  I know many of you are rooting for my success.  You've told me so.  There are a few ways you can help.
  1. Give me good advice.  I'm a bad salesman.  I need ideas and correction when I make a mistake.  
  2. No book can make it without word of mouth advertising.  If you have friends or relatives that might like Emperor Dad, tell them.  Write down the URL and hand it to them.  http://www.lulu.com/content/967760
  3. If you have read the book, leave a review.  Go to the page I just noted and at the bottom there is a Post a Review link.  As the book comes up on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Borders, I'll let you know so you can leave a review there as well.

No comments: