Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Cold in the Box

It's been an interesting few days here in El Paso. Before Mary Ann left, we could at least hop in the Jeep and go to a restaurant. However, now I'm limited to walking distance, which gives me a choice of three truck stops and a MacDonalds. Due to the cold, I haven't even taken that option except to go get gas for the generator.

Yesterday, the propane level finally bottomed out. I stopped the heater before it went totally empty, reserving the last few puffs for the water heater and the refrigerator.

But that meant no more toasty warm air in the RV. We have a little electrical heater, 1500 watts, but it's not enough. With the temp down into the 20's at night, and with all the glass area, the best I can manage it to keep the air temperature in the 50's and during the day up into the 60's. Needless to say, I'm typing this layered all the way out to my coat to stay comfy.

Theoretically, I should have been on the road by now, gas tank and propane topped up, heading for California. But Fedex has messed up delivery of the repair part. Mr. Fernandez at Horizon Automotive has been very helpful, helping me get more gas for the generator and stringing a long extension cord out to the RV. Unfortunately, ten minutes after he closed up for the night and left, the line went dead -- probably a popped circuit breaker. But at least the generator is doing its job and I'm staying warm enough.

Let's hope FedEx has a driver with a clue today.

No comments: