Monday, January 04, 2010

Creating the Pixie Dust ARC

Advance Reader Copies (ARC) are early versions of books that are printed in limited numbers and sent to reviewers in hopes that early buzz and quotable reviews can be gathered in time to add them to the final released book cover. Since the big name reviewers like Publishers Weekly request these ARCs four months in advance, this step is also one of the reasons why it takes so long to publish a book, once the manuscript is completed. Of course, you can skip this process, but in doing so, you give up any chance of getting the important marketing edge.

Honestly, it's never worked for me. Small fry are usually ignored by the big reviewers anyway. Still, hope springs eternal, and going through the steps of creating and distributing ARCs does make the finished product better, as it adds editing steps and time to notice any last minute errors.

This time, I'm even showing you the cover early. It's not done yet, as more front cover text, like my name, isn't even there yet, and there's the whole spine and back cover to compose. Those can't be completed until I finalize the interior layout and thus fix the page count. The spine width is dependent on how many pages there are. So many things to do, and they all have to come in the right order.

Pixie Dust is a change from my previous novels. It's a little longer and with a 20's something university grad student protagonist rather than the teens of the Small Town Big Ideas series. It's slightly out of the range to call it YA, but if you liked the others, you'll likely enjoy this science fiction tale as well. Especially if you can appreciate a 4'10" physics grad student with Tinkerbell as a nickname.

It was also my late mother's favorite of the novels I shared with her, because of the mystery story aspects. Wanna guess who will be on the dedication page?

2 comments:

Chris Meadows said...

I'm not positive, but I think that comment all in Chinese is probably a spam. :)

When you're ready to send out electronic ARCs, please let me know. I always look forward to reading (and reviewing) your stuff.

Henry Melton said...

Yep. I couldn't read it, but it looked like wall to wall links to places. Thinks for the heads-up.