Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I Really Need to Teleport

The artwork CD didn't arrive.  It's been a week since it was mailed.  The delivery lady said they were still catching up from Valentine and the postal holiday.  But that still leaves me stranded with the clock ticking on my projects.  
So, time to go see Jumper.  I'd been planning to see Steven Gould's movie...or rather the movie based on his book, since it came out.  Honestly, I've been hoping it would be a monster hit that would make greedy Hollywood types go hunting for some other novel about teleporting teenagers that they could make more movies about.  Hey, I'm willing to option.
But the first reviews I saw were less than stellar.  I had to go see it myself.  
So, I did.  I liked it.  It was quite a travelogue, with the hero popping around all over the world.  The storyline was fairly simple.  Loner kid can teleport, has fun for eight years, and then has weird secret organization hunting him down.  Mayhem ensues.  Oh yes, there was a girl, and his mysterious mother.
I can understand where the reviews were coming from.  Samuel Jackson, playing the villain, just walked through the role.  If you saw the movie for him, it was only worth two stars.  But since I wrote a teleportation novel myself, I was interested in how our works differed.  
There were lots of differences, of course.  Jumper uses a psychic gift, very much like Bester's The Stars My Destination.  My Emperor Dad has technological teleportation, with creative software to make it personal.  But both stories touch on how disruptive teleportation can be to the existing economy.  And both have powerful organizations out to stop it.  I personally recommend that every school in the country should buy both books and use them as study guides on the topic of disruptive changes.  Feel free to use the links above.

No comments: