Saturday, January 12, 2008

Working on the Wrong Problem

I'm sitting at my desk so much I just wore out the office chair and the plastic chair mat that lets the wheels roll around instead of digging into the carpet.  I just put down a new mat when the shock absorber gadget in the main column started leaking black oil.  Oh, well.  Put a new chair on the to-do list.

I'm working as hard as I can to make this publishing effort work, but I suspect I'm working on the wrong tasks.  I just made several runs through the layout and proofing of Lighter Than Air, while waiting for another finished proof copy of Roswell or Bust to arrive in the mail.  I spend hours making the text pleasing to see and easy to read.  I'm working long hours layout out the covers, and being a slave-driver to the artists working on the art, trying for a perfect image.

I want these books to be perfect, and I keep learning more and more about how to put it all together.

But making a great book isn't my problem.  The real problem is that no one knows that they exist.

1 comment:

Bill Crider said...

Distribution is the key. It's tough to get the word out, and even if you do, it's tough to get the books out where the buyers are.