Saturday, December 08, 2007

Getting Behind

I'm behind and getting more so each day, it seems.  Since I began this "micro publisher" project I'm learning more things that have to be done at a greater rate than I'm working off the checklist.

For example, this newspaper article about me came out on September 17.  Of course I was in Zambia at the time so I can claim innocence that I didn't immediately post notice about it in my blog and on my website to leverage the media attention and sell more books.  That's what I'm supposed to do, isn't it?  But it's now December, almost three months later that the website editing task bubbled to the top of the list.  It's embarrassing.  

Another example is the publication date of Roswell or Bust, my second novel.  I'd planned for October.  It slipped to November, and then I decided to shift my printing and distribution from Lulu to Lightningsource to get better pricing, and that added a whole new layer of accounts to open, and ISBN's to buy and contracts to fax.  And then I ran smack up against the reality that to have any chance of the book to get a review in Publisher's Weekly or Booklist (pre-publication reviewers) I had to send them galleys 3 or 4 months in advance of publication.

My simple minded idea of publishing one book a quarter and spending a week or so on each of them to herd them through the processing has now been replaced with the reality that I'll have to work on four books simultaneously to that I'll have the lead time to get everything done by publication date.  

I'm learning a lot about the business of publishing -- more than I ever wanted to know.  Let's just hope I can keep up with it all.

1 comment:

Scott Cupp said...

Yes, nothing ever seems to take quite as long as a "quick 15 minute job". Hope it goes well and the book is selling for Christmas.