Saturday, November 10, 2007

Book Format vs Manuscript Format

For more years than I care to remember, I've been writing in manuscript format. With its wide margins and double-spacing, I'm quite comfortable with it. So when I found I had to convert that format into the book format that everyone else in the world uses, I have been suffering a learning curve. I've converted two books now into book format from my manuscripts and I'm still suffering from mistakes. It's not natural yet.

So, I documented the process -- mainly for my own use. However, once I had it completed, I decided to add it to my Writer's Resource page on my website.

I wrote a little 1700 word description of converting the manuscript, in manuscript format. I then followed the steps I'd just written and converted it into the 6 x 9 format used by trade paperbacks. It's simple, and real typesetters would be pained to see it, but it does go through the process.

One of these days I'll learn how to do initial raised caps.

No comments: